One of the best things we did to prep for this baby was sign up to an NCT course – we learned a lot of facts about labour and birth that were truly horrific and perfect for dinner time conversation but the best part was meeting a group of lovely lovely people who are all going through the same thing at the same time, we now have a group who we can vent to or ask advice of when the baby is being a little… darling!
Lois is one of the mums from our NCT group, pretty sure she invented these, there are lots of similar recipes floating around but these take the best bits and put them all together and they are amazing, you end up with these tasty bites that, although rather strongly flavoured, the baby really seems to love! They are the right size for him, you can make them in bulk, they are easy, they freeze, you can stick a couple in a Tupperware and take them out with you. Plus they’re vegetable based so practically good for you!
I have tweaked slightly, here is my recipe.
1 large broccoli head OR 1 cauliflower
1 slice of bread or pitta bread (whole meal if you’re being very healthy), grated or blitzed into breadcrumbs
Grated Cheese – I’m use mature or medium
1-2 eggs depending on the runnyness of the mixture
Small onion diced
Clove of garlic or garlic powder
– Steam the veg till tender, then let it dry off whilst you get the rest ready so the mixture isn’t too wet later on
– Mash / blend the veg to a textured pureé
– Mix everything together into a glorious sticky mess
– Put small balls onto a lightly greased baking tray (a couple of sprays of olive oil)
– Bake till golden at about 180 – roughly 12-15 mins depending on oven
Grown up version
– I find the onion too strong so I would saute it first, but the baby likes it so I haven’t tried this yet
– I also plan to try bacon with the cauliflower ones at some point